Grizzly at Mary Bay Yellowstone Lake

Friday, January 28, 2011

First (RV) Flat Tire Experience

This flat tire experience wasn’t near as bad as some of the horror stories I’ve heard. If there is a good time for a flat this one was it.

I had brought the rig home from storage in preparation of taking it to have the Norcold recall fix taken care of. As I got out of the rig I had this little voice say “check the tires” before you go inside.

Sure enough the passenger rear inside tire was down to 60 lbs. So I took it to a local auto repair shop and had it aired up knowing I would be at Camping World in the morning.

Next morning tire had lost 20 lbs of air. Good, a slow leak. When I get to Camping World I will be able to get it fixed there.

Upon arriving at my appointed time I ask if they could repair the tire with a slow leak. Now comes the dreaded response “we don’t do tire repair”. They sell you tires but don’t want to fix them?

Now I call my handy Coach Net road side service to find out where in the area I could get a RV tire repair. After a few questions a tire store just a couple of miles from my hose will do the repair work.

After the Norcold fix and more air into tire I go to the repair shop and get the slow leak back to a no leak tire. After watching all the work that goes into an inside tire repair I had visions of a hefty repair bill. Upon check out the bill came to $25! I wouldn’t begin to wrestle those 2 tires on or off the rig for that money. I paid and said thank you very much.

So if you are in Austin and in need of tire repair go to A to Z Tire Shop on south 1st street. Need to call them to get directions.

Sorry no photos. Couldn’t see any excitement of a flat tire picture.

2 comments:

  1. $25?? That's a heck of a deal to change an inside tire. I'd gladly pay that any day. It was nice that you were able to get to a shop to get it fixed rather than having it go flat, or blowing out, on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God it was a slow leak, and that you weren't on a busy Interstate somewhere. I think we are going to stay at Skyline next season, if they have a spot for us. A lot of people here are thinking about switching. Take care.

    ReplyDelete