Grizzly at Mary Bay Yellowstone Lake

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Getting a Stronger WiFi Signal

We’ve all had the experience of a weak WiFi signal when at a park that has promoted WiFi. They may have a perfectly good and strong WiFi signal in the office or laundry room but not at the site you are parked in.

I have been looking into different solutions to improve a weak WiFi signal without a lot of expense, equipment and long term contracts.

After reading different blogs and forums I am going to try an Alfa external WiFi antenna. This is not the silver bullet nor anything new and exotic. It is a simple receiver that utilizes a 5db gain antenna to receive a WiFi signal and amplify it then send into your USB port.

The cost of this package was just under $37 through Amazon. I ordered a 15’ extension cable because the price was right and I might want to move the antenna around to try different places.

The driver installed flawlessly on my Windows Vista service pack 2 system. My “non scientific” test proved that a neighbors unsecure network that had a 1 bar strength went to a 3 bar signal and I was able to connect and get on the WWW. Yes I know, shame on me.

This is probably just one of the many fixes that I will have to have in my arsenal to get a strong WiFi signal.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that info about the wifi antenna. It sure looks simple enough and a gain of 1 to 3 bars is impressive too.

    I've been in the market for one of these gadgets but didn't want to spend a lot of money because we do have a Verizon USB760 card which works well everywhere we've been. It would be nice, though to get 'free wifi' when it's available.

    I'll check into this one because the price sure is reasonable enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if it is compatable with windows 7? Thanks for sharing this info. I run into this problem from time to time also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pidge,

    Yes it is compatable with 7. You will need to contact Alpha for a link to get the correct driver.

    Hope it works well for you.

    Mac

    ReplyDelete